Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Unplug, Replug, Reboot...


Our power went out yesterday for about 10 minutes due to some work out on the main street. After that, the internet started acting wonky and eventually quit working altogether. It was a bit frustrating, as I was looking forward to finally rewarding myself with some downtime online. I was hoping to catch up on some much needed blog reading AND blogging. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Marco called our provider only to receive a message that they were experiencing a high volume of callers and that there may be a problem connected to our area. Ya think?
Before my husband called the provider he had me restart my computer. Then he asked me to reboot it again. Nope. Nothing.
As soon as the kids were off to school in the morning we tried again to no avail. He called the provider again and this time, he got a live person! The first thing she asked was - "Did you reboot it?" Um, yeah. We got nothing. She then proceeded to have my husband unplug the modem and the other hook-ups, re-plug them and then - like magic...everything was working again. Next time we have to "reboot", we will have to remember that along with the "rebooting", we will also need to unplug and replug.
I feel like life has been a little like that for me lately. I keep thinking that I need a "reboot", but it doesn't seem to be working. The other day my sister's status on facebook read, "I wish this morning had a reset button." What's up with that? Why can't we just push the reset button?
I think that sometimes we want to hit reset, but that will just take us back to where we left off - and is that what we really want? Not always.
I loved this post by my friend Lee. It's called Family Reboot. I love that she had a plan and that she knew what things needed to be improved and what areas needed to be unplugged and re-plugged. I really have been thinking about her post since I read it almost two weeks ago. I always feel a bit overwhelmed this time of the year. I don't know if it's because the school year is almost over and I'm anxious about all of the end of the year activities or that I'm just itching for summer to start - but it's too much.
The more I want to simplify, the more it seems I allow myself to take on. I have to learn to say no and I have to have a plan. I need to focus. I need to be present. I need to concentrate on the journey...not just ramble through completing one task after the other.
Looking forward to a reboot - even if I have to unplug and replug! Will be taking some time to write up a plan. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and get to know you, so leave a comment. Thanks for stopping by...