Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reverb 10|Day 26|Soul Food

December 26 – Soul Food
What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth & touched your soul?
(Author: Elise Marie Collins)
________________________________
Well, okay. This one's kind of making me laugh and kind of making me nervous. You see, food is such a big event in my life. I love food. I love cooking. I love gathering friends and family together just so that I can feed them. Food is a big deal to me.
On the other hand, I am really coming to terms with the fact that I can no longer hide behind the "it's my culture and I just like to eat" comments about food anymore. The fact is that I feel good when I am full. I like good quality food. I don't really care for sweets or junk food...just good food and the more the better. 2011 will be yet another year that I deal with the issue of trying to get myself to where I feel healthier and more confident. Lord give me strength.
I know how to make and choose healthy foods, but I do have a problem with portion control. So, that being said...I am going to post a few pics of some really great things that I had this year. I don't know if any of it really "spoke to my soul"...but it was memorable enough that I took a picture of it, so here goes.

This was some very good Tiramisu that I had in Idaho at an adorable little tea house. It was more special because I was there with a kindred spirit of mine, Erin.

I enjoyed these greens with some other home-made Korean foods while I was in Washington this summer visiting my parents. These greens came from my mother's garden. Oh, how I wish that I appreciated this more when I was growing up.

Macadamia encrusted halibut on a bed of baby bok choy. It was soooo good. Marco took me to a little seaside resaurant in Dana Point for our anniversary. It literally melted in my mouth. If anything ever spoke to my soul, it was this.

This was a fresh spinach and greens salad that I made with grilled scallops and sauteed shrimp. I added fresh cucumbers and blueberries and grape tomatoes from the Farmer's Market, as well as watermelon and mushroom. Sooo good. The perfect summer meal.

This last photo was taken at Benihana restaurant. We took my daughter, Hannah, for her 15th birthday. The food was very good, but more importantly, it was so much fun and brought joy to the whole family. The chef put on a big display of fancy knife work, flipping the shrimps, etc, and the food was cooked very well. It was definitely a night of great memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and get to know you, so leave a comment. Thanks for stopping by...