Saturday, July 23, 2011

Memorizing Scripture...

I attended AWANA when I was in junior high. We lived in Germany and the group met at the school on base. I had fun with the games and even helped as a leader, but one of the best things I got from it was that I learned to memorize Scripture. I can't tell you how many times I will recall a verse and it will be something I memorized as a teen in AWANA clubs.
Now, let me say that I have a terrible memory! I have to work at anything that I memorize and still manage to forget so many things. I found this Honey in the Rock set one day at Goodwill. It was not even unwrapped and they were asking less than $2 for it. I can pull out a verse whenever I want and work on memorizing it or just meditate on it. It also has a commentary type thought on the back of it that goes along with the verse. For example, today I pulled this verse and it was especially encouraging:
Luke 12:15~And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
On the back it says: A man is really measured by what he is; and not by what he has.
It's not hard to get something stuck in your head these days, especially with so much social media. We hear the same songs and jingles and sayings over and over and soon - it's found it's way into your memory. I'm always amazed and the songs and video codes that kids can remember, yet they have a hard time memorizing their academic facts or Scripture. Do you memorize Scripture on a regular basis? What do you use? I'd love to hear from you all about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts and get to know you, so leave a comment. Thanks for stopping by...